Sunday, June 29, 2008

Captaincy 'fun' for Pietersen despite defeat

Kevin Pietersen insisted his debut as England's captain has been "great fun" despite a 51 run loss to New Zealand in the fifth one-day international at Lord's.

Victory for Black Caps in the final match of this campaign saw them win the NatWest Series 3-1.

Pietersen, standing in as skipper for Paul Collingwood as the Durham all-rounder began a four-match ban for England's slow over-rate in their one-wicket defeat at The Oval on Wednesday, only scored six. But the star batsman insisted captaincy hadn't affected his form and said he was still keen to lead the team against his native South Africa at the start of August's one-day series, when Collingwood will still be banned.


"Today was great fun and if I get the opportunity I will do the job like I did today," said Pietersen after Saturday's defeat.

"The thing for me is I am a perfectionist and I strive on doing things really well, to the best of my ability and being successful.


"Finishing today without a victory gives me an incentive to get the 'stripes' back again, to try to get a victory under the belt.


"I don't want to be an England captain who captains one game and loses it."


No comments: